Why the kitten does not use the litter box
When you buy a kitten which is more than 2-3 months old it usually knows what the litter box is. However it often happens that at a new place and in new environment kitty does not go in the litter box. Why? Maybe it’s scared and is afraid to move around new territory, perhaps the opposite: it explores and instinctively marks it by peeing in the wrong place; or perhaps a kitten couldn’t remember where its toilet was. Whatever the reason is this article will tell you how to train your kitten to use the litter box. A full list of tips is posted after the video.
How to train a kitten to use the litter box
If you have a very small kitten then teaching it to use the litter box will become your task. You should buy a box for your kitten in advance as well as the right filler for it. How to choose a tray for a kitten we describe below and recommend you to get to know these recommendations.
Kitty litter box: tips for choosing
For a kitten it is best to buy a tray with sides of 5-7 centimeters high; also it must be steady. Regarding the choice of filler, it is necessary to ask the breeders from whome you have bought a kitten if they have been just covering a tray with torn pieces of newspaper thus a bought granular filler will not be accepted as a toilet by your kitten. Taking the tray with the grid (without filler) be prepared for possible difficulties because the kitten may not like the wet plastic so can choose your shoes as its toilet.
Video: How to train a kitten to go to Tray
Rules to teach kitten using litter box
- Firstly note that in any case it is impossible to use force. Kitten needs time to sniff the tray and know it, and understand that this tray is its toilet.
- If the kitten pees missing the tray you have to wipe the place with a tissue (without any smell) and put it into the tray. Urine strongly attracts animals so next time the kitten will find the tray and will think that the last time it peed there so will miss any more.
- Sometimes a cat or kitten may not like the filler so it is worth changing the type of it or take the analogue of another manufacturer.
- If the kitten is still very small and the methods listed above do not help try carrying your pet to the tray from time to time, especially after feeding it.
- If possible watch the kitten: as soon as it crouches to “do its job” or hides in a comfortable place move it into the tray. Do not hurry so not to scare him.
- The position of the box plays an important role, place it in a place where the kitten will feel its privacy.
And finally, do not let the cat on the bed or sofa unless it learns to use exceptionally litter box.